Thursday, July 28, 2011

Fruit of the Earth Block Up SPF 50

There seems to be a spurt of different range of sunblock in the market in the recent months.  First it was Ocean Potion and then it was the Fruit of the Earth range (from hereon will be referred to FOTE).  I saw a small bottle of it at one of the hypermarket, Carrefour and thought I'd grab one to give it a try, since I was running low on the Ocean Potion Anti-Aging Sunblock SPF 50 Ultra Light.  The one I got my hands on is the FOTE Block Up! Full Spectrum SPF 50 with Aloe Vera.


Their website describes this item as follows:

Experience the cutting edge of suncare with the added UVA/UVB protection of avobezone! The Best Sun Protection Available Today.


Features:

  • Protects against UVA1, UVA2, and UVB rays
  • Anti-oxidants A, C & E combat free radicals
  • Prevents premature aging
  • Designed to use all year-round
  • water and sweat resistant
The one I got is a 30ml, so it's very travel friendly.  I am a sucker for travelling goodies and this one is a good size.

So how does it fare as a sunblock?  
Being one with SPF 50, it does work to ensure that I don't get burn, especially my hands, with the crazy erratic weather here in Malaysia.

Smell
I wouldn't say it smells cloying, but I'd say it's definitely void of any good smell.  The only word to describe it is that it smells like chemical.  Since this is an item for the body, I'm not to worried about the smell.  I guess it can be a turn off to some.

Texture
It is slightly creamy, but not as thick as the Ocean Potion.  I'd say one thing is good though, it's not sticky.  Once applied, you don't feel as though there is a film on your skin.  That works well for me since I dislike the sticky feeling. I guess as it is slightly lighter in terms of texture, it doesn't take too long to apply the sunblock.  Well, this is in comparison to the Ocean Potion item I got. With this item, you know you are applying sunblock and not lotion due to the texture.

Packaging,
It comes in the form tube.  It works for me because I don't have to keep tilting the bottle to pour it out.  I guess partly it's due to the size as well.  

For its price point, if I am not wrong, the big bottle is costing about RM22.90-RM24.90.  Quite an okay price I'd say, for a bottle of 88ml.

Will I get it?  Well, that's a tricky question because I am a little turn off by the smell.  It's an item that I would contemplate a little more before proceeding to repurchase I guess.

No comments: